Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Movie Review: Volcano High

There are a lot of things I could say about Volcano High – it’s a colorful comic-book movie hailing from Korea. It was also remade into English with, uh, Snoop Dogg and a bunch of other rappers, which I wasn’t aware of until after I already saw it. I’m glad I opted for the Korean version, but that may have actually been pretty funny.

The main story is – the students at this high school are supernatural kids. They have powers. And the principal has…some kind of magical manuscript kind of thing. And whoever has it, has “the power.” And then something happens to the principal (something supernatural!) and the school gets turned upside down – all the students, and the teachers, are now vying for that power.

Hysterically enough, this movie reminded me of a film version of a book I read when I was kid, called The War Between the Pitiful Teachers and the Splendid Kids. Yes, the book was as awesome as the title suggests. The book was a little less supernatural than the movie, but not by much. Either way, they were both completely over-the-top awesome.

I definitely recommend Volcano High as a fun movie to watch with some friends – so long as you don’t mind subtitles (or alternatively, maybe you LIKE Snoop Dogg and want to be regaled by his voice acting!). Two scary-Japanese-bees-sized thumbs up. (For those of you just joining us, that reference is from this horrifying piece of hilarity: http://www.cracked.com/article_15816_5-most-horrifying-bugs-in-world.html. Enjoy!)

No comments: